Panther Top Lookout Tower
Article is under construction, please check back soon.
Accessing the Tower
- Take I-40 to Exit 27 (125 miles)
- Take Hwy 74 to Hwy 294 (97.8 miles)
- Take Hwy 294 to SR 1303 (0.9 miles)
- Take SR 1303 to turn right to keep SR 1303 (2.1 miles)
- Hike from here?
- (Drive or Hike) SR 1303 0.7 miles becomes FSR 85
- (Drive or Hike) FSR 85 0.7 miles to Tower
- SR 1303 may be signed Panther Top Rd
Limited parking is available along forest service road 85. At 35.063321, -84.107809, forest service road 85 continues left, and continuing straight becomes forest service road 85A. At this intersection, forest service road 85 is gated and rangers ask that visitors park so as to not block the gate. Telecommunications workers need to be able to access the road when needed. Two or three vehicles can comfortably park along the narrow shoulder of the road without impeding traffic.
File:Panther-top-85 (short).gpx, Hike FSR 85 to summit from FSR 85A junction and return; 1.5 miles round-trip
File:Panther-top-85.gpx, Hike Hike FSR 85 to summit from SR 1303 (Panther Top Road); 3.9 miles round-trip
View from the Tower
- Northwest: John Ish Hightop (cluster of three humps)